As a school we consider attendance and punctuality to be fundamental for maximising achievement and obtaining the greatest benefit from education. 100% certificates are awarded to children who have had no absences during the entire year and many children become proud of their excellent attendance record.
Children who are too ill to come to school or may pass infection to others should not attend. If your child is absent from school, please inform the school by telephone, letter or e-mail on the first day of the absence and provide a note of explanation on the child’s return to school. The school is required to keep a record of the reasons for all child absence.
Please remember to cancel your child’s school meal if they have one ordered.
Holidays during term time will not be authorised by the school. Leave of absence will be exceptionally granted for attendance at medical or dental appointments or for examinations. However, where possible such appointments should be made outside of school hours.
Requests for days off for religious observance will be considered as appropriate.
The headteacher may authorise leave of absence in ‘exceptional circumstances’. Any requests should be submitted to school in writing well before the proposed absence. We have strict guidelines and criteria to refer to and holidays in term time cannot be authorised. Parents need to be aware that all requests may be passed directly to the Education Welfare Officer who will write to the parent if the school does not grant leave of absence. If parents choose to take children out of school without authorisation then the Educational Welfare Officer may issue a fixed penalty notice of £60 per child and per parent in particular circumstances.
All late children must report to the office and sign in. Repeated lateness is monitored and families causing concern through persistent lateness are referred to the Education Welfare Officer.
At West Thurrock Academy we aim to set every child on their way full of responsibility, aspiration, achievement and respect.
We ask all parents and pupils to sign our Home/School Agreement, which sets out the shared expectations of both parents and the school.
We all have our part to play:
The School will:
- make sure all children and their families are treated with respect and sensitivity
- provide a secure, stimulating environment and ensure that tasks are well prepared and appropriate to each child
- provide parents with information about their child’s progress and provide parents with opportunities to talk to teachers
- contact parents promptly if we become concerned about a child’s happiness, health, behaviour, standards of work, attendance or punctuality
- keep parents and pupils informed about school policies and activities through regular letters and newsletters
- ensure that homework tasks are regularly given out and marked
- ensure that appropriate reading books are changed weekly
- always demonstrate the school values
As a Parent/Carer I will:
- make sure that my child arrives at school on time and avoids any unnecessary absences, including term-time holidays
- make every effort to support my child’s learning and enjoyment of school
- to read with my child every day, recording their efforts in their Reading Record book
- support my child with homework tasks and ensure homework is returned within the set time
- make sure my child is dressed appropriately for the weather, wears the correct uniform and that their PE/games kit is in school
- work with the school to try and make sure that my child behaves and adheres to the school’s Conduct Code
- work in partnership with the school to develop positive attitudes towards those from different cultures and backgrounds and with different feelings, values and beliefs
- make sure the school has up-to-date emergency contact details
- attend parent’s consultations about my child’s progress
- inform the school of any concerns or problems that might affect my child’s learning or behaviour
As a Pupil I will:
- attend school regularly and on time
- observe the school’s Code of Conduct and treat everyone with respect
- always do my best in all lessons and activities around the school
- read at home, every day if possible and submit completed homework on time
- wear the correct school uniform and bring all the equipment I need every day
- take responsibility for my actions and behave safely
- take care of all school equipment and help keep our school tidy
Code of Conduct
We will be friendly, polite and helpful towards everyone.
We will always show respect to others.
We will do all work and homework to the best of our ability.
We will ask for help when it is needed.
We will keep hands, feet and comments to ourselves.
We will take good care of the equipment and the building.
We will always walk sensibly inside the building.